Saturday, July 26, 2008

Maquiladora Solidarity Network

Just in case anyone has become especially interested in the maquila situation in Tijuana, I thought I'd share some resources about it. There is a group called the San Diego Maquiladora Workers’ Solidarity Network that does work with trying to bridge the struggles of factory workers in Tijuana with people in San Diego. They do a tour, its called a Human Rights Tour, I think, about once a month. I've been on it, and while I have my criticisms of it, I think it can be a really good thing to experience and the folks doing it are good connections to have if you plan on doing any work concerning the maquilas. The website is http://sdmaquila.org/ and you can sign up for the tour there. Also, for another class I read pieces of a text called Beautiful Flowers of the Maquiladora: Life Histories of Women Workers in Tijuana. Its a very good look at the issue, from a very human perspective.
All of this is so near to us, I think it's important to know about.
peace

No comments: